Thursday, February 21, 2008

Straying



This post strays from my stated aims but animules seem to get some feedback. Yes, I'm still hoping for comments to no avail. (I'll get over it.) These adorable creatures are my Shiba Inus. Hobbes on top and the lovely Ruby. Shibas are an ancient Japanese breed, the smallest members of the Akita family. They are loyal guard dogs who literally like to sit at your feet. Very clean, almost cat-like with no doggie odor. Brave, but aloof with strangers. How I found them is an interesting story.

In 2001 both of our Bassets, Turbo and Argyle, passed. By Christmas time I couldn't stand it anymore to come home to a dog-less house. So, I took an on-line quiz about what breed is right for you and Shiba Inu came up in the top ten. Not knowing this breed I did research but then couldn't find a local breeder. Right before Christmas I looked in the classifieds and saw an ad. After talking to a very sweet Scots lady for about half an hour I said I would like to come and look at the puppies. She asked me if I knew where the Lutz Branch Library was. Was that Fate, or what? That's when Hobbes came to live with us. Ruby came a few months later because I think dogs need a friend. However, this breed seems to do well on a single basis. They fight sometimes. Somehow, tho' out-weighed mightily Ruby is in charge. Not unusual with Shibas for the bitch to be Alpha. Ruby is a failed show dog due to too straight back legs, but her sire won an award of merit at Westminster. It took her about a year to learn to love being petted.

8 comments:

Der Geezer von Tampadorf said...

Marcee wrote:

"Ruby is a failed show dog due to too straight back legs."

Poppycock & nonsense, I say. Our Lucy, a Bischon (starb, Apr, 2007 - 17 yrs) was bought by yours truly for Himself as a Christmas gift. The plan was to breed her and make lots and lots of money. She came from championship stock and cost a bundle at the time.

We took her to our vet to get her examined and he declared her a wonderful pet but no Diva d' Pooch Programme. She had an abdominal hernia which was repaired when she 'got fixed'. To make matters worse, her sire was fully papered but the bitch hadn't been registered at the time of insemination. So, "Lucinda of the Belevederes" became just Lucy and was a gem of a family member right up to the end.

P'raps she didn't win any trophies or ribbons in the ring but she, along with Ruby, are stars in their own right and the lack of ribbons does nothing to diminish the joy they bring. Nicht war?

I love your blog . . . and, Look: you got a comment! Woo Hoo!

Alles beste,

~Mike (who needs to get on the stick and update his own blog instead of reading others . . . sigh.)

Marcee said...

Mike, thanks for the comment. As you realize it means a lot to me! How did you find my blog? I'm curious as it is a work thing at the library.
Listen, I gotta tell ya, Ruby is the most fantastic dog! She is always working, always on alert for intruders and follows me where ever I go. There's a movie in the works about her. I hope you have lots of pictures and video of Lucy. I think Bischons are beautiful, Remember her with love, not regret. Being the "gem of a family member" is very special!
Sincerely, Marcee

Der Geezer von Tampadorf said...

Hey! I'm on the Library 2.0 blog list! Remember me? Mike Keach? LA at NTR? I was like a cruise missile on your blog, Renelda's, Andrew's, Paul W's, etc. I think it's great that we're doing this. Should go a long way toward interconnecting with each other within the system's community.

Look forward to reading more of your entries, Marcee.

Alles beste,
~mike

Marcee said...

I didn't recognize you as der geezer!

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. Hobbes and Ruby are very charming and bold.

Unknown said...

Okay Marcee, where are you hiding the blogging elves? Your blog looks amazing! Very professional. The choice of colors and pictures actually invites visitors to explore.

Though I'm not particularly an animal person, your doggies are divine. They look sooooo pampered! Are you adopting? (People, not pooches)

;) The Spin Doctor

Marcee said...

Hello Spin Doctor,
Not currently accepting any applications, but, I've always said I want to come back as one of my dogs! And, thanks for the kind words! It's just a template and I do like the warm colors. I used the same one on my other Blog where I post a lot of pix from my kitchen which is a warm rusty, orangy red.

Marcee said...

Oh, btw, we picked out our new rug because we thought the colors would complement the Shibas. They have the run of the house and backyard with a doggie door and free reign on the furniture.